Dry cough is one of the most irritating symptoms of several infections and diseases. It is caused when any dust particle, allergen or irritant enters the throat. The inflammation of throat due to infection may make you cough repeatedly. There are plenty of techniques for treatment options on how to get rid of dry cough and the best part is it can be treated completely with the help of home remedies. If you are a smoker, have allergies or asthma then you are more prone to suffer from dry cough. It is also caused as non productive cough because it does not help improve our condition in any way unlike the normal cough which helps remove excess mucus from the body. Person suffers from unpleasant tickling feeling in his throat due to dry cough. It is mostly an acute problem thus it can go away completely within 3 weeks. You can get relief by trying following home remedies.
Some Home Remedies for Dry Cough Treatment:
- Ginger: Ginger is very effective in treating dry cough and providing instant relief. You can chew a piece of ginger directly or you can also add it with hot tea or water and then drink it. It reduces the irritation in the throat thus reducing dry cough.
- Honey: Honey reduces the irritation by forming a smooth coating on the throat. Honey is one of the most effective substances to cure dry cough. You can get relief by taking 2 tablespoons of honey. You will feel soothing effect as soon as honey crosses your throat. You can also add honey to ginger, tulsi or garlic to improve the taste and get better results.
- Drink Fluids: Drink lots of fluids which can be either water or hot soups and even tea with little bit of ginger. Lack of moisture in the throat causes irritation which in turn leads to dry cough. Drinking plenty of fluids can help you retain moisture in the throat.
- Hot Steam: Hot steam helps moisten the mucus membrane present in the throat and sinus. You can take a hot steam bath or other option is to boil water in a bowl then inhale the steam by keeping the bowl under your face after covering your head and bowl with a towel.
- Medications: Doctor may prescribe cough syrup to treat dry cough. You can get fully cured within 2-3 days after regularly taking cough syrups. Antihistamine can reduce the inflammation in the throat as a result you may get relief from dry cough.
- Lemon Juice: Drink lemon juice regularly after every 6-7 hours. You will notice relief within few days. You can also add the lemon with honey and warm water for better results.
- Gargle: Gargle is one of the most effective ways to treat dry cough if done properly. You can gargle warm water after mixing a tablespoon of salt in it. You can also try gargling with spinach juice and water in which henna leaves has been boiled.
Above listed dry cough treatment are easy to apply and give immediate relief and they do not have any side effects so you can try it on your own. However, if you are going for over the counter medications then consult a doctor before taking it because many suppressants cause irritation in the throat thus worsening the situation. Avoid pollutants and quit smoking if the cough has become a chronic problem.